A Little News

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Shakespeare Doesn't Live Here

Least someone think I'm well versed in the works of William Shakespeare, let me say that it was high school when last I read the bard, so now I get a "Sonnet A Day" just for S&G's. I had to read slowly; some passages more than once; but the bottom line is that men have been paying the price for our natural instincts since God kicked his kids out of the garden lo those many years ago:

Sonnet #129
Posted:
CXXIX.

The expense of spirit in a waste of shame
Is lust in action; and till action, lust
Is perjured, murderous, bloody, full of blame,
Savage, extreme, rude, cruel, not to trust,
Enjoy'd no sooner but despised straight,
Past reason hunted, and no sooner had
Past reason hated, as a swallow'd bait
On purpose laid to make the taker mad;
Mad in pursuit and in possession so;
Had, having, and in quest to have, extreme;
A bliss in proof, and proved, a very woe;
Before, a joy proposed; behind, a dream.
All this the world well knows; yet none knows well
To shun the heaven that leads men to this hell.


Ladies: Feel free to leave your opinion of this sonnet in the comments section. Don't go there yet though, let me give you something else to write about.

I would be remiss if I didn't note that we are but days away from Valentine's Day, the penultimate Hallmark holiday. For all of our anonymous atheist friends out there, yes, it was a pagan holiday usurped by the Catholic Church - but since it all worked out for the best, why not just pass on this one.


I don't know exactly what prompts me to write things like the poem that follows, and my wife warned me not to put it on-line, but it is truly a love poem...kinda...with an accompanying warning from the Surgeon General. The poem has no title because I want any man out there brave enough to send it to his wife to put his own title on it - heh, heh, heh.


I wonder if you wonder
After all that we've been through
Is his love strong enough? Deep enough?
For a lifetime meant for two
When I look to the future
You're always at my side
And my love for you
Is as strong and as deep
As your pleasantly plump, rump is wide

SURGEON GENERALS WARNING: Humor of this nature is not necessarily appreciated by all women and may be hazardous to your health. It may result in bruising, lumps, bumps, lackanookie and - God forbid - a "bobbit". Please google Lorena Bobbit for full details.
I'm gonna pay for this one.
Big time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wert thou smote thou wouldst be wretched!