A Little News

Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Wanna Take You Down To Kosovo

I apologize to Brian Wilson and/or Beach Boys fans for co-opting a line from "Kokomo", but it seemed like an appropriate title to go along with this quote:

"We regret that the Security Council cannot agree on the way forward, but this impasse has been clear for many months," Belgium's UN ambassador Johan Verbeke said.

He gave the statement on behalf of Belgium, France, Italy, the UK, Croatia, Germany, and the United States.

Click on the title for the link to the story from the BBC.

Russia and Serbia oppose Kosovo's declaration of independence which took place hours ago. Like most Americans I suspect, I had no idea this was even brewing. The head of the UN wants both sides to remain calm - good idea.

So my friends, what do we do if Russia supports a Serbian invasion instead of working things out peacefully? Do we respond or do we blink?

Before you get your "warmongering" labels ready for me, I'm only thinking out loud about eventualities. The last thing we need is another shooting match.

I've expressed concerns regarding Mr. Putin before and I sure hope someone in the government has a hell of a lot better read on him than I do. I also hope that cooler heads prevail in Moscow, but some ethnic violence has already started according to the BBC report. Minor at this point, but this region has a way of generating warfare, ala WWI.

At least this time we have a few more countries in our corner, even though the "blame" will still be on us.

For those of you who believe in things like prayer, you might want to include this in your nightly supplications.

No comments: