A Little News

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lewis County & Around The World

Having had the pleasure of entertaining my 2 year old grandson until sometime after 2am before he visited the Land of Nod, I arose at 6:45am - not of my own volition. It is amazing how little sleep he needs before he's ready to rear and tear. I did have the luxury of a shower while Dominic was watched by Bailey, Diego, Katie, Dora, and Mima (only one of them walks upright).

After attending 8:15 mass with my wife, my daughter and two of my other grandchildren, we then returned home to the other two - children and grandchildren.

I thought it was time for a short vacation - even if I never left the house.

Fellow travelers in New York who have had the pleasure of driving over Rt. 177, you will immediately recognize the photo below:


Okay, it's really China, but 177 has unique driving conditions almost like no where else in the continental United States. I was kidding you about China too - its really my driveway.

The next photo could have been taken somewhere in heaven. How could there be a heaven without trees?

Now we're off to Kansas City and the coolest paint job you've ever seen on a library:


Looking at this series of four photographs of Mexico City sent thoughts racing through my mind; the predominant thought being: "God, I Love Lewis County!"

For asthetic value, the row houses below aren't bad at all; it's just the number of them, which at first seems impressive, until you get to photo #2 ...


... and you realize that being a rugged individualist at times is not all that bad. How'd you like to stagger out the door of your local mall, burdened with bundles, slapped by sleet, and whipped by the wind, and then have to try and find your car. I've been known to have logistical difficulties in WalMart parking lots for crying out loud.

Once you've located your car, snow rarely being a problem here, you can drive around town for a while, and a while, and a ......

Night time lends itself nicely to improving the look of almost anything, including me. The sad thing about that photograph is that the clouds you see, and the lights you don't see in the distance, are probably the result of smog and not a weather system. While not a proponent of Al Gore's, the need for an alternate source of energy and employing the one's we do have is imperative. That includes nuclear power, and it should also include exploring all possible reserves within and beneath our own country in my opinion, but we'll leave that for another day, I'm on my short vacation right now.

Now the picture below is obviously not a photograph, but I was there once in the 70's.

As I leave you now it is just past noon on a gray February day. When I watch my 2 year old grandson, I realize that the gray, the weather, or even the time of day are of no importance to him at all. How thankful I am that God has given me not only the grandchildren, but He also allows just a bit of that magic of youth and imagination to rub off, even if just for a while.

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends.

No comments: