A Little News

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hello Again

It was quite an interesting 7 days in Watertown. I felt akin to Gilligan but without the benefit of Mary Ann or Ginger - at least that was my initial reaction.

First, my list of thank you's:

My Family: Not every one who suffers clinical depression is lucky enough to have a family that cares enough to step in and force you in the right direction - even when you're being a total jerk. Case in point - I walked into the Lewis Country General Emergency Room, the room was packed, and I said "To hell with this - I'm not waiting around!", and out the door I went. The next thing I knew, I had the local constabulary, the Sheriff's Department, and a State Trooper asking me if we were going to have a problem getting me in the ER. Funny thing - I went right to the head of the line - no waiting. Not the normal process I'll grant you, but when your daughter dials 911 and tells the operator that Whack Daddy is on the loose, it's much more efficient then tipping the maitre d'.

My Brother: Thank you Joe for the phone calls, the love and support, and for keeping people posted on my progress. I have no better friend than you.

Samaritan Staff: Up and down the line, from psychiatrist to nurse's aide, these folks showed the professionalism one would expect, and the compassion and concern that one needs. I completed my patient survey upon release and gave them positive reviews on everything but one item, which I wrote in big block letters: YOUR BED'S SUCK! This was greeted with laughter and a shrug that suggested if you wanted better beds, try Betty Ford.

My Mates: I did not have the opportunity to speak with everyone, but I did develop friendships and a change in attitude that was attributable to my mates as much as it was to the hospital staff. It's not all that difficult to understand: You can worry a lot about the kind of shoes you have to wear until you see a man with no feet.

My Friends: All of you, my dear friends, who offered prayers, words of encouragement and an honest concern for my welfare. Especially my dear friend Danger Democrat - your email was much appreciated.

I wrote with 2 pencils constantly in need of sharpening, and I'll be sharing some of that with you over the next few days, but I'm getting ready to go on a nature hike with my 8 year old grandson right now, so this will be brief - at least in my terms.

Having settled my crisis of faith, I decided to get the bible out and in the process, I reviewed the 10 Commandments, and then I thought of them as the ACLU would have written them:


THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ACCORDING TO THE ACLU


Thou shalt have no God before thee in public. Churches, synagogues, mosques and Motel 6's are okay.

Thou shalt not make for thyself a carved image - unless it's Bill or Hillary.

You can swear, insult, take the Lord's name in vain - pretty much whatever you want - it's all 1st Amendment stuff dude.

Remember to keep holy the Sabbath - 10% off at Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, and don't forget the Sunday NY Times.

Honor thy father and thy mother - even atheists do that so its okay and that's the best way to stay in the will.

Thou shalt not kill unless it is an unborn baby.

Thou shalt not commit adultery. Please remember the Clinton Proviso - eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor, unless they are conservatives.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors house, thy neighbors wife nor his manservant (how come I don't have one of those?), nor his ox or his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's unless you can find a shyster lawyer who can create a heretofore unknown, idiotic reason to take it away from them legally.

We've come a long way in the past 2000 years haven't we.

I also would like to share this photo so you can see my new hair style, my new smile, and why I'm currently filling out an application to be a bearded lady at the circus:




Something tells me I should stay with my day job.

Thank you again everyone. The majority of recovery work begins after you've left the hospital. I have a counselor, a psychiatrist, and all of you - who could ask for anything more?







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back in one piece. Just in case, I'll keep the Flying Methodist Monkeys on the job for a while. I like the hair...but then...I like ANY hair.

givemethehighway said...

After seeing that picture of you in your new "do", I'd say they let out waaaaay too soon.

Good to have you back bro. Love ya.