A Little News

Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Few Things I've Learned

Depressive disorders effect about 19 million people in the US every year. A couple of new words that apparently applied to me:

Dysthymia: A less severe type of depression that involves long lasting symptoms that do not seriously disable, but it can keep you from feeling good or functioning well. Many people with this form will also experience major depression episodes in their lives - which was what happened to me 2 weeks ago.

I've been so happy since my return home, now I'm concerned that I might be:

Bi-polar / Manic Depressive: the yo-yo of depression. When you're up, you're a non-stop party animal, and when you're down, depression seems like a step above where you are.

Anhedonia: lacking the ability to feel pleasure. Does that sound familiar to anyone? That was my life in a nutshell, and for those that know me, inability to feel pleasure has never been a problem for me before.

Men, in many cases, consider depression to be stigmatic, so we resort to macho BS, work 24-7, drink and/or drug excessively, and sometimes just blow our brains out. Gentlemen - get a clue! It is NOT unmanly to ask for help and there is no need to view depression as anything other than what it truly is - the same as breaking a bone. It's just an internal breakdown that can be treated and cured. If you have to take medication to make sure that Sir Richard comes to full attention upon the Queen's demand, what's the big deal about repairing the space between your ears?

Getting involved - if I learned nothing else, I've learned that there are a lot of other people out there just like me who need help, and who better to give it to them than those of us who have been through it. I started feeling better as soon as I started participating in groups and sharing with the other people who were there with me. I am not suggesting that anyone other than trained professionals should deal with the serious issues, but a shoulder to cry on and using your ears as they were intended to be used are powerful tools - never underestimate the power of a hug!

To the anonymous person who posted and indicated they were thinking of getting help but couldn't afford it I have these few words: You can't afford NOT to get help.

Many places work on a sliding scale, and if you don't have any money, go to your local county mental health clinic and ask to speak to someone. There is no shame, there is only the pain that you are suffering through needlessly. Help is available! If you need any suggestions or any assistance getting pointed in the right direction, feel free to contact me at my email address:
bblairjr@hotmail.com, and I'll be happy to find someone in your area that can help you.

If you've never heard that old Mills Brothers' tune "You Only Hurt The One You Love", see if you can find it and give a listen. That will get you prepared for the next posting.

I'm off to church and Sunday School with a lightness in my heart and in my step that has been missing for quite a while. I am still in the woods; I always will be, but at least now I've got a compass and a whole lot of people to help me find my way.

God Bless and have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

HQ said...

Welcome back. I hope you got the present I left for you at the DD blog.