A Little News

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Odds & Ends

POLL QUESTION

I took another Zogby Poll this evening, and at the end of this one, they offered the opportunity to suggest a question for a future Zogby poll. My question:


"If Jerusalem became the home for the United Nations, becoming the first "world city" - open to everyone of all faiths, do you believe this would provide the impetus necessary for peace in the Middle East?"


Feel free to share your opinions here as well. I think the Dali Lama should be in charge - no, I'm not kidding - think about it. Or not.


THE YANKEES

In 1978, as the Yankees closed in on the Red Sox, I was mere weeks away from getting married, and Bucky Dent was only days away from becoming Bucky "F*****" Dent in all of New England. In Yankeeland, we believe, while in New England, and even parts of New York, the Red Sox Nation is suffering through a region-wide run on Aspirin, Tylenol, sleeping aids, tissues and Depends.

I had the pleasure of seeing Monday nights game in person with my son, and two friends. I hadn't been to the stadium since Opening Day 1996 - Andy Petite pitching in a snowstorm - and it was a real treat to get back there. I also had the good fortune to be the guest of a gentleman (I use that term loosely Lar) who is a seasoned veteran when it comes to preparing for a ballgame. If you're taking kids, or if you just like to save $200-300 for food, bring your subs/water/chips, etc. in a clear plastic bag and you will be allowed to bring them in with you.

I know you need to make money to pay all those huge salaries George, but $6 for a beer and $5 for a hot dog just violate the basic economic principles most of us live by here in Lewis County.


JOYCE KILMER


There was one other thing about the trip to New York City, or more specifically, The Bronx, that has stirred some different feelings. We parked on the Grand Concourse and saved another chunk of change by walking a few blocks to the stadium. Just up the street from where we parked was Joyce Kilmer Park. I asked my son if he knew who Joyce Kilmer was, and he had no idea, while one of the other guys asked who she was.


Sgt. Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) was killed in the second Battle of the Marne in WWI, and at the time of his death he was a well known poet in the United States. After my brief dissertation on Mr. Kilmer and the recitation of only the last two lines of the poem, which was all I could remember from my Catholic School days, I wondered what kind of poetry was being studied in middle schools and high schools today.

This very brief poem could be considered trite by more eclectic tastes, but having found it again, I'll share what I think should be the aim of all writers, and something I'm not very good at yet: meaningful brevity.


From his book, "Trees and Other Poems":


Trees

(For Mrs. Henry Mills Alden)

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.


Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.


Photo and link - Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest:
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/southern/JoyceKilmer/index.shtml



GROUND ZERO

The only way Ahmahdinejahd should be allowed at Ground Zero is if he's wearing a bulls eye as a yarmulke, and every Jew in New York City is given an AK47. A bit cheeky and far fetched I'll grant you, but fun to consider nonetheless.

No comments: