A Little News

Friday, September 21, 2007

Illegal Aliens & Driving

My initial reaction to the news that illegal aliens could now obtain a New York State Drivers License was negative, simply because it seems to reward those who are here illegally. I checked out the 9-11 Families website that opposes this effort across the country because they feel it encourages and abets terrorists.


Now that my liberal friends are frothing and preparing for another conservative rant, let me state that I also went to Governor Spitzer's website, where I found a lot more information that convinced me that this is the right way to handle the situation.


I was very encouraged to see that they will be implementing face-recognition technology and numerous other safety enhancements to prevent those amongst us that may find it handy to hop over a couple of counties and apply for a new license when the occasion arises.


Having worked in the insurance industry for the past 24 years, I've come to appreciate the fact that knowledge is indeed powerful, especially when it comes to learning how to drive. It can help save your life and the lives of others. The program will be launched in two phases, the first addressing those people who had lost licenses in the past due to their inability to meet the previous regulations. After that, and after they've had time to staff up for the onslaught, any New Yorker will be able to apply.


As far as staffing up for the influx so as not to inconvenience actual citizens, we're talking about the DMV right? We can only hope that as systems progress, everything that needs to be accomplished at the DMV can someday be completed via the Internet.


In contrast to the security arguments offered by the 9-11 Families site, I also found the security arguments on the Governor's site more convincing.






Now you can go to both of the websites and make up your own minds.


To my opposites on the political spectrum, I know you don't expect a conservative to actually try to look at both sides of any issue and make an independent decision.


Sorry to disappoint you.
I obtained this picture from one of my yahoo groups, then added the frame and text - hope you like it.

1 comment:

HQ said...

We be with you there Watson.