A Little News

Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th

It's been a while my friends, but I wanted to wish you all a happy 4th of July. A powerless laptop, an incredibly painful back and my never ending struggle with depression combined to keep me away from writing. The back is better, my mental health is much better, but the damn laptop is still dead. That means I have to look for an opening on the one computer in the house and the four others who like to spend time on it as much as I do.

If you'll click on the title, you'll be taken to a citizenship quiz that my wife found on msnbc.com. The bad news is, if my wife were applying for citizenship she'd have to take another test. I did manage to squeak out a 90%, so I guess I get to stay.

The one thing that really caught my attention during the past few weeks was the Supreme Court ruling on the rights of terrorists. I would refer to it as "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly".

The Good: I am one conservative that feels the Supreme Court made the right decision. As the unappointed leader of the free world, we will always be scrutinized in everything we do, and the treatment of prisoners of war, whether they are terrorists who don't belong to a standing army or not, should always be exemplary.

The Bad: The downside is that some of these people may end up going free, like the recent case in Great Britain. With the right lawyer anything can happen - ask OJ.

The Ugly: Another terrorist attack that claims thousands of lives that might have been stopped based upon intelligence garnered from the terrorist. You could also take this out of "The Ugly" category and put it in "The Good", because it means that we are willing to sacrifice American lives in order to stand for the justice that all men deserve.

It's not always easy to do the right thing, but in this case, the Supreme Court got it right.

We are still that beacon of light shining out to the world, and I couldn't be prouder to be a citizen of this great country.

God Bless America!

7 comments:

Danny M. Francis (Eyepublius) said...

I got a 95% and missed, now get this,

"When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?"

July 4, 1787 is not correct.

July 4, 1776

I thought it said CONSTITUTION ... I read it too fast... and today is the 4th... ouch.

Anonymous said...

Well I passed it but....

Sorry to hear about your problems but welcome back, I have read a lot of your posts.
Have a Happy 4th

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Now let the games resume!

Anonymous said...

I was born in america but sometime in the last 40 years or so it has moved. to paraphrase Pat Henry
Give me Liberty or give them (the politicians) death. (politically speaking of course.)

Popinjay

Anonymous said...

Nope. We're still here Anon., still giving you a forum to say whatever you want without fear of ending up in a Chinese or Russian prison for not following the party line. You won't be buried up to your neck in a soccer stadium so a bunch of Islamofascists can stone you to death for speaking out. We're still here disagreeing with you but defending your right to speak out. Happy 6th of July in the good old US of A.

Anonymous said...

You missed my point sir charles. I love my country, I just don't know what has happened to it. Seat belt laws, helmet laws, cig. taxes of 2.75 a pack. gov't raising our children or telling us how to. Car inspections that cost families their grocery money to satisfy some politcos angst over global warming. America isn't what the greatest generation had; what they fought for. It has become a nanny state. I love my country, it is the greatest place on earth still, but it has been changed by the whores that we continue to elect.
Pop'njay

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I thought you were NSI Anonymous. I apologize. Let us not forget that the greatest generation lived with or through...the draft (I think that was a good idea)...tax rates up to 95%...the Volstead Act...the Washington Treaty...the Bank Holiday...the NRA...Poll Taxes...Executive Order 9066. That was all prior to 1945. I consider myself a halfassed libertarian, however, having had a heart attack and salivary cancer, I think the tax on cigarettes should be $30.00 a pack. But that's just my opinion. The point is that we need government and government always oversteps its bounds. The only answer is to vote the bastards out every couple of years.