A Little News

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

BP

No, I'm not doing a piece on British Petroleum.

The "BP" I'm referencing is "Blood Pressure".

I've spent the last few days with incredible headaches and my blood pressure, as of yesterday in the doctor's office, was 208/148. I have been treated for high blood pressure since I was in my early 30's, and I still have no idea as to what drives it.

At a business conference in Saratoga Springs last year I got up to get a cup of coffee, and as I returned to my seat I started gushing blood from my nose. 24 hours later the nose bleed finally stopped. At the hospital my blood pressure was 240/168 - thus the nose bleed.

There's a darn good reason why high blood pressure is called "The Silent Killer". Headaches, dizziness, blurred vision and nausea can be symptoms of hypertension, but for a lot of people there are no symptoms. Unless you visit your doctor and have your blood pressure taken, the first time you may become aware you have high blood pressure is when you have a stroke, a heart attack, kidney failure, loss of vision, or an aneurysm.

I took a short break between the last paragraph and this one to have my wife take my blood pressure. Having an RN as a wife comes in handy at times. 178/118 - that was this morning's reading after doubling my blood pressure meds as of yesterday. I'm already scheduled to return to the doctor tomorrow. If my blood pressure is not down by then I expect to have additional testing to try and find out what's causing this most recent episode.

If you haven't had your blood pressure checked recently, make a point to visit your doctor and get your blood pressure checked.

Once you know your blood pressure and receive treatment as necessary, you'll be able to watch the slobbering news anchors kiss up to Obama and his "Magical Mystery Tour" without blowing a gasket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, knowing something about the business conferences you have to attend, I'm surprised you didn't have blood pouring from your eyes and ears as well. In spite of having a heart attack, Twig attacks and cancer, my BP has never been above 121/71 at the Dr's office. High BP seems to be an inherited predisposition as much as anything. The upcoming reduction in stress should help as will your ongoing adventure into self awareness. Have you tried accupuncture and/or meditation? There is also an experimental treatment called messupjackshair that you might try.