A Little News

Thursday, August 7, 2008

What the Cell?

The only reason I have a cell phone is because the company pays for it. After October 31st I won't have one anymore, and I'm not sure that I'm going to run right out and buy another one after viewing the video. Just what I need, more electronic waves frying a brain that just barely made it out of the 70's.

And then there's texting. I've watched everyone else in the house do it, but I'm telling you right now, if you ever see me texting, please walk up and feel free to break a couple of fingers. Since I plan on doing a lot more guitar playing before I depart, I'm not too concerned about the offer.

My guess is that we are at the beginning of a new phase of evolution that will only become apparent hundreds of years from now. After a few generations of people who use cell phones from cradle to grave, humans will become truly telepathic and the spoken word will become obsolete. They'll also be able to fry eggs just by thinking about it.

Talk about obsolete; movie stars and TV anchor persons will no longer command any one's attention, as affinity groups form around the world. The Yahoo of the Mind. Of course the more rebellious of our offspring will find ways to join groups only to jerk some one's mental-chain.

They'll be somewhat like Commander Data from "The Next Generation" version of Star Trek, only they'll be human - kinda. I think they had an episode where the race they were visiting needed them for breeding purposes because they'd stopped having sex. They were so mental (use any definition you like) that they had lost interest in sex.

Time to do away with cell phones if that crap is gonna happen.

2 comments:

PCS said...

Please tell me you didn't seriously fall for that fake video!!! What happens when someone calls your cell phone? Does it start transmitting microwaves? Ok, nevermind, I'm pretty sure you are too smart to fall for something so obviously stupid.

PS I blogged about that video several weeks or a couple months ago. It's really amazing what you can do with video editing software these days. Remember, snopes.com is your friend.

Watson said...

Hook, line, and sinker! My son told me it was a fake video just as I was about to post the blog, but I had so much fun writing the darn thing that I decided to post it anyway.

I didn't even think about snopes.com because of my dislike of cell phones, but I will certainly remember to use them from this point forward so I don't get bamboozled again.

I could have said I knew all along, but since I place a high value on honesty, I'd rather just confirm the fact that I'm not "too smart to fall for something so obviously stupid."

Thanks for the enlightenment PCS - I know I can rely on you to point out the error of my ways, real or perceived.