A Little News

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Where Is The Middle Ground?

It gets harder every day to resist the polarization that plagues us. I don't know if there is any middle ground left; or rather, viable middle ground. It's no use pointing out the middle if no one wants to go there. I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate getting stuck in the middle seat on any airplane. No analogy intended; it's just one of those things in life that irk the hell out of me.

Irk - now there's a wonderful word.

If upon your mind I irk
Have you the right to call me jerk?

Doggerel, but to the point. Thanks to the talking heads brought to us on every news network (yes, even Fox) we are constantly inundated with people to whom civility is as foreign a concept as it would be to a Neanderthal. Not everything is so easy a cave man could do it.

If we don't stop to listen, we can't hear another idea that may lead to another, to another...you get the idea.

The only real problem with civility is that many people associate it with political correctness (from here on, and ever after referred to as PFC, make up your own acronym, I've got mine). You see boys and girls, civility is what we practiced many years ago before educated people, with nothing better to do than to tell us how to live our lives, metastasized into the "Goody-Two-Faced-Two-Shoes of the 21st Century.

They are well-intentioned. Zealots, whether they be religious extremists or secular apostates, are almost always well-intentioned.

So based upon my less than unbiased observations, just where is the middle ground?

Immigration, Iraq, Abortion, Taxes - with a list of issues like these does the middle ground represent good government, or a lack of conviction?

What? Did you think I had all the answers?

I'm sure I'll be sharing some ideas with you - that's the reason I started this in the first place. The other thing I hope is that as people start to read, if they start to read, you'll feel free to share your thoughts here.

I'm happy hurling invective or conducting a digital conversation with insight and respect - the choice, of course, is yours.

No comments: