A Little News

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Death and Life

As my final post on this 25th of April, I'd like to talk about the State Troopers that have been shot, and killed, in the last few days. Like the men and women in our Armed Forces, these are similar brave young men and women who serve and protect us here in New York. Sure they're a pain in the ass when you're the one getting the ticket, but that's their job too and you probably deserved it anyway. I know I always do, whether I admit it or not.

I heard a long time member of that force on the radio today, saying that he hoped it was time that the Democrats in Albany made killing a police officer a crime punishable by death.

I know the desire for revenge, whether you call it justice or not, is akin to breathing. Should it not be for God to make the final judgement? I have faith that He will. Here on earth, the taking of a life should not be punished by the same act as that of the killer, whether it's state sanctioned or not.

I realize that's not the perspective of many conservatives, but it's mine.

If it weren't so late I'd do the Google search for the story regarding a young man, convicted of murder, who was forced to face the mother of the other young man he had killed. Before she could say anything, this young murderer broke down, sobbing, begging forgiveness. Through her tears, the mother replied, "I have forgiven you a long time ago. It is God's forgiveness you must be concerned with now."

Forgiveness cleanses the heart and the soul, and what makes matters even better, it makes the jerk that pissed you off in the first place feel even worse.

Sometimes, there are unexpected benefits to doing the right thing.

No comments: