A Little News

Friday, October 19, 2007

Do They Never Learn?

There are times when all the stars align just perfectly, and the vagaries of life come together to give just desserts to those without a Twinkie. This week we have been provided with two examples, one that warmed my heart, and another that chilled it.


A Rush To Judgement


Up to this point I have refrained, other than a brief mention in passing, from referring to the letter that Dirty Harry Reid and the rest of the senatorial lemmings sent to Clear Channels, accusing Rush Limbaugh of denigrating "phony soldiers". As I write this on Friday morning, the bid for the letter on Ebay is now over $2 million - and Rush has pledged to match whatever amount is raised. The monies will go to fund the education of children who's parents have died in the line of duty, both military and police.


The reason I find this heartwarming: Rush took the thrown lemons, made lemonade, he's selling the lemonade, giving the proceeds to fund children's education, and the the lemon-throwers are left with a puckered look on their faces. I guess you could call the letter signers a bunch of dumb puckers.


Rush has challenged the puckered Democratic demogogues to match him, but don't expect any of them to step up to the plate. Their efforts to distance themselves from the "General Betrayus" ad were so pitiful, I almost felt sorry for them - almost. At least in this instance, I could understand the reason behind the action, even if it was pitifully transparent.


The "Randi Rhodes Right Wing Conspiracy"


This little item serves to further illustrate why Air Amerika is the most dismal radio endeavor ever attempted. Randi Rhodes, on air "talent" for Air Amerika, tripped and fell in NYC - perhaps she's as spastic physically as she is mentally, who knows. Before any of the facts were in, before anyone bothered to check to see exactly what happened, the Tweedle-Dum to her Tweedle-Dee, Jon Elliott, announced on air that she had been attacked be right-wing thugs.


Although he did apologize on air yesterday for jumping to conclusions, the damage was already done. If you'd like to see what I mean by damage, just Google the story and go to the "Village Voice" website. The reason I suggest you go there is not the story itself, but the postings that accompany the story. The "damage" is there to see for anyone who can read. The anger, hatred and vitriol are so disconcerting that I found I could only read a sampling before reaching my limit.


Once again we're being treated to the lunacy that partisanship generates. Having been an all too willing participant, and finding it almost impossible not backslide every now and then, I have no idea how we're going to get this country back together, but I can assure you that jumping to conclusions is not the way to do it.


When I see Putin and Ahmadinejad buddying up to each other, or when I see Benizir Bhutto almost assassinated in Pakistan by AQ/Taliban terrorists, I have all I need to fuel my paranoia - I don't need any help from the partisan wingnuts on either side of the aisle.


PS - I DON'T LOVE YOU

I'm adding this because I just saw a billboard on "Fox on Friends" that really warmed my heart. It seems a gentleman in Alabama, who just happens to own a billboard, feels much the same way as I do about Hugo Chavez, aka Bentio Jr. - he doesn't love him. His billboard has a picture of Hugo holding up a Citgo sign, and the caption reads: DON'T BUY GAS FROM THIS ASS!


I LOVE IT!

4 comments:

HQ said...

Hi Watson,
Here's an unsolicited score on you multiparter post.
Item 1 on the fatuous comedian Rush: I disagree with your premise but agree that the Senate is wasting time on very dubious resolutions condeming media.
Item 2 on Randi: I disagree with your catagorizations of RR and Air America but support the concept of being a little more deliberate and actually getting those ducks in line before casting dispersions.
Item 3 on Chavez: Hey, believe it or not I'm with you.

Rebecca Leonard said...

LOL, thank you so much for sharing that billboard! It made my day!

Anonymous said...

Did I read your posting right?
You are accusing another bloger of

"anger, hatred and vitriol are so disconcerting that I found I could only read a sampling before reaching my limit." ?

You got balls.

Watson said...

Dave:

Thanks for noticing.

Watson