A Little News

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Problems & Mother's Day

The problem with problems is that they grow up so fast.

Unalike a child, if left unattended, they mature rapidly into a "nagging problem". Speaking on behalf of the male species around the globe, we all know definitions of the following words:

Nag
Nagging
Constantly Nagging
Bitching & Nagging
How to Tune Out Nagging Without Losing Consciousness

There's no need to explain how we know - we just do.

If the "nagging problem" is addressed half-heartedly or ignored, it soon becomes a new species: an "Issue".

Bless you.

Woe to the man who lets the issue receive scant attention, for Issue soon runs off to the nearest military academy and becomes a "Major Issue".

Bless you.

There's only one more stage left after that. From the seed of a problem; blessed with ignorance and/or apathy, the "Major Issue" explodes into whatever you chose to call it depending upon the particulars of the situation.

Whatever the impending doom, it's usually because we let the little old problem grow up.

What's the best thing for a little problem? Talking.

My teenage years had their share of problems, but I had the best ear and the most sympathetic shoulder any child ever needs - my Mother. I still recall late nights when we would sit up talking about things. Though there were problems, even issues that we talked about, everything somehow seemed more manageable after talking to Mom.

The oldest of six children, I marvel today at how she managed to retain her sanity, while taking care of all of us and the laundry, dishes, dinner...the list goes on forever.

She was the peacemaker - one way or another.

It will be ten years this June since my Mother passed away, and though I miss her dearly; she is never far away from my heart.

I'd like to share with you the first verse and chorus of a song I wrote called "On The Wind":

I grew up surrounded by music in the air
My mother taught me my first song: Jimmy Crackcorn And I Don't Care
She's long since left this mortal world for music more sublime
But if I listen hard enough, I hear her from time to time

You may hear her voice, sometimes when I sing
You may hear her style when I play these strings
She lives on in me, though she may be gone
She lives on the wind, and she lives in this song

I love you Mom - Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: